Ariana Palmer
UX/UI Designer & Illustrator

Snoopy Window

A stained glass piece

Overview

This was a stained glass project I wanted to challenge myself with in a stained glass workshop course I took a few years ago. I wanted this to challenge me technically whilst also giving me the opportunity to work with Kat Medlyn directly to learn how to do specific things in the craft.

Sketched Idea from Sketchbook

Sketched Idea from Sketchbook

Planning the Design

I started off with planning out the general sketch of what I wanted the window to look like on sketchbook paper. Afterwards, I began sketching the full-sized image onto kraft paper and made sure all the shapes within it were feasible to cut as a beginner stained glass artist.

The primary colours I wanted to use for this window were: transparent red-orange and yellow (to represent sun-like colours and to bring in warmth once the sun outside hit the window), a solid white and black.

Once those were selected, I went ahead and also pre-planned the coloured patina I would use in the end.

The Process

Once everything was planed out and solidified, I went ahead and began scanning the shelves for the colours I wanted. Once those were attained, I began to trace the design from the kraft paper onto the glass pieces efficiently (making sure to keep the pieces as tight-knit as possible to not waste the large glass pieces I was cutting from) using carbon paper and a pencil.

Afterwards, I began the process of cutting. I did need some assistance figuring out how to cut the rounder areas, but once that was sorted out, I began cutting everything. Up until this project, I had mostly been cutting straighter edges but Snoopy's ears were a small challenge I decided to try out on my own once I got the hand of things (and his tail). There's a lot of technique that goes into planning each cut, and sometimes you have to do multiple cuts to create one piece.

After all pieces were cut out and ready to go, I made sure they were roughly the size I wanted them on the paper to ensure that nothing was cut wrong. They were all cut perfectly, so I began using the grinding machine to slowly and carefully grind them down to have smoother edges.

After all of the pieces were grinded and cleaned off with water, I began putting foil on them and then began the process of putting flux on them and soldering them together. Everything was then placed into a frame and I put petina on the soldered areas.

The final touch was adding black paint to make his eyes.

Final Output

Final Output

Materials Used

  • Petina

  • Foil

  • Flux

  • Grinder

  • Solder

  • Soldering Iron & Sponge

  • Cutters & Pliers, Chemical Brushes

  • Safety Equipment (Gloves, Goggles)

  • Glass & Copper Framing