Using the functional Axure prototype of Jungle app I created scenarios for testing.The tasks in the research scenario covered the areas of main issues on the paths of the users' needs and goals.
Conducted usability tests on 6 persons.
The goal was to verify the understanding of the concept of home plant management application and its usability.
During test users detected several problems of various rank.
1. Problem Identifying the plant - On the result screen the name "Similar plants" suggests that the right plan was not been found. You get the impression that the displayed results are plants that are visually close to the plant you are looking for.
Solution Change the phrase "Similar plants" to "Results".
2. Problem Finding recommendations - On plant card screen the watering info does not indicate how often a plant should be watered. "It would be good to have the default setting".
Solution Add information on how often the plant should be watered. When setting the watering notification, the recommended frequency will be visible as the default setting.
3. Problem Watering plants - "I don't have the option of marking the plant I've already watered". On My Jungle screen users felt the need to mark as "done" the watering of the plant, which would give them the impression of fulfilling their duty.
Solution Add the option "done" for each plant requiring watering. The next watering will be counted from the moment the plant is marked as watered. This will prevent the plant from being overwatered when watering again.
4. Problem Home screen - The biggest challenge was the menu structure of the mobile app. App had tiles in the upper part of the screen for explornig new plants and identifying them and a bottom navigation which relied more on the app's functionality.
Solution In the end, I went with the bottom navigation because users were more familiar with that type of naviagtion and they found it faster.
After the first round of tests, I collected knowledge from the study and sorted it using card sorting. The results of the study influenced the decision to redesign the main navigation.