TRIGO

The 10-month journey of redesigning a giant corporate website

TRIGO

The client

TRIGO Group offers quality solutions, mainly focusing on the automotive, aerospace and other transport industries. It offers a comprehensive portfolio of inspection and management services to various supply chains, it is the world’s largest player in the quality sector.

The Team

The TRIGO marketing team worked closely together with a UX researcher and a designer from UX studio.

Here’s a peek at the old TRIGO website
Here’s a peek at the old TRIGO website

The objective:
Complete redesign

The old website didn’t meet business requirements, which meant they needed a complete redesign.

So, what's next?
1.
Exploration
2.
Execution
3.
Development
In some cases, design phases overlapped a few days or even weeks
In some cases, design phases overlapped a few days or even weeks

The timeline of the project:
Exploration, execution and development

The whole 10 month long project comprised of three major sections.

1. The Exploration phase
TRIGO

Market analysis and product research

  • Gathering information on the market, the product and the users
  • Competitor analysis
  • Internal interviews with stakeholders and executive leaders

TRIGO

User research and ideation

We identified and created profiles of future users.

Then testers fitting these criteria tested the ideas and concepts throughout the exploration and the coming execution phase.

Look and feel

We created and delivered look and feel artboards, moodboards, design sketches and clickable prototypes. We later made major changes to the design delivered in this phase.

TRIGO

Prototyping

At the end of this phase, we had a clickable Axure prototype of the main parts and the navigation. Later, we added new elements but the navigation and structure didn’t change radically.


2. Execution phase

Weekly design sprints

At UX studio, we work in weekly sprints, followed by an iteration. This was no different during the business website design project, either. At the beginning of the design sprint process, we held a starter meeting when we also planned the smaller tasks (according to the roadmap). Then, we went through our list of tasks.

Team collaboration

Many meetings made up this phase, most of them internal (UX researcher + UX designer).
However, we also had to check on our weekly progress with the client, mostly with the marketing team, sometimes also with the stakeholders.

During the meetings, new ideas and even new business goals came up that we needed to incorporate into the design.

The final home page (scrollable)
The final home page (scrollable)

Final design

Here are some examples of the final TRIGO business website design.

3. Development phase

Development phase

When we reached this phase, we had 99% of the design ready and needed to just fine-tune the remaining 1%.  So, we could say our work there was done, right?

No. We know a good design also takes technical limitations and solutions into account.

Limitations

Here, “limitations” don’t refer to feasibility — any business request has a technical solution. 

Rather, cases where something merits the effort (e.g. integration of image gallery template instead of coding one from scratch). 

Also, when we use templates (or widgets/plug-ins) of any kind, we have to make sure to test every aspect (navigation, fonts, colors, icons, etc.) that it fits the design rules and the branding.

Final touches

In the final two months, we did follow-up development, made design changes if needed and represented the business and the user needs in the design. The last part featured in case the developers wanted to modify the design.

Main takeaways

This mega-project served us with many learnings. Thanks to its length, we were able to really immerse ourselves in this project, and understand the client and the organization in a very deep way. Our main learnings:

  1. Website redesign involves more complexity than appears at first glance.

  2. Make it clear what will change with a website redesign (not a facelift).

  3. Holy trinity: User needs, business requirements, technology.

  4. Involve developers as soon as possible, and continuously.